Friday 12 August 2011

Scorpia Rising - Chapter 6: Secrets and Lies

I always enjoy chapers that are set in MI6 Headquarters and this one was no exeption. Although we're still in 'Part 1: Scorpia' (the final chapter, in fact) this chapte took place in Alan Blunt's office and was, in my opinion, my favourite chapter in this book so far, and probably the most interesting of these types of chapters in the whole series. It's from Alan Blunt's POV and we see him weeks away from forced resignation as Head of MI6. I was actually surprised by his blase attitude towards it: I kind of expected a Devil Wears Prada-esque refusal to leave and some kind of anger-inducing manipulation, but apparently not. Alan Blunt rarely seems to feel any emotion at all, and I suppose I should have realised that this would extend to his job. He even goes so far as to hope that Mrs Jones will replace him. Maybe he too feels that he's made too many mistakes.

As he muses on his past year with ALex Rider, I can't help but detect some respect in his thoughts, and I think, especially after what hesaid in the last book, he really is coming to think very highly of Alex.

He turns his attentions to a file that details the finding of a body in the Thames. The body has been identified as Levi Kroll, a founder of Scorpia, and is therefore being treated with the utmost secrecy. This is obviously the body planted by Scorpia, and one of the effective results of writing the book in this way means that we know so much more about the situation than Blunt, which is rare this early on in the novel. There were many points when I was yelling in frustration at the pages in my hand because it was so obvious what was happening, and HOW COULD BLUNT BE FALLING FOR THE TRAP??? But, of course, he knows nothing of this trap and can't be expected to.

The coded message has been found, and although Bluntfinds it suspicious that a message of this importance would be written on Kroll's phone, he dismisses it - making me scream in irritation and admiration at Horowitz's tantalising yet brilliant story-telling. Enter Mrs Jones. I've always liked her, despite the fact that she's in MI6, there just seems to be a touch more humanity in her than in Blunt, and she does sympathise with Alex, defending him againts her superior. She comes bearing lots of new information about the body, and it really does astound me how much MI6 areable to work out from just one body. For example, they work out according to the tidal directions where the body must have been thrown in, where his clothes were bought, and therefore where he's been recently and of course how long ago he was shot. Although we know that this information is certainly wrong, because Jurst stck him in a freezer directly after the murder, just to throw MI6 off his scent. Evil genius.

Jones tells Blunt how they have managed to work out the code, and then a new woman is introduced, someone we've never met. She is described as having photographic memory and "the analytical skills of a world-class chess player". Samantha Redwing also - to Blunt's surprise has a normal life outside MI6. It's interesting that this extra information is given, and I can't help but wonder how she's going to come into play later on in the novel. She was vital in working out the coded message, and they have finally decided that it's hinting towards some kind of attack on a SCHOOL in Cairo. The school is a famous arts school, containing the children of many rich and famous parents. Blunt and Jones agree that should this come under threat, Scorpia would "have enough leverage to start a world war". Great!

Blunt's mind instantly makes a connection between this and the recent news of JULIUS GRIEF'S DEATH.

BLUNT, YOU GENIUS!

And then he decides to disregard it, as it can't possibly be related.

BLUNT, YOU FOOL!!!! YOU FRUSTRATE ME SO MUCHHHHHH

But, of course, we know that this isn't actually going to happen - at least we don't think it is. I can't tell if Scorpia are actually going to threaten the school, or if they're just threatening to threaten it... if you get what I mean...

Naturally - unfortunately - Blunt's mind skips to Alex. We've been told earlier in the chapter that the Prime Minister forbade Blunt to use Alex - or any other teenager - ever again, but now Blunt doesn't seem to care. Mrs Jones reminds me why Ilike her so much though, as she tells Blunt that she will by no means let him use Alex again. He is not to be touched and they should send an adult spy in as a teacher or cleaner, but NEVER ARE THEY TO USE ALEX RIDER AGAIN.

<3<3<3

:)

Oh Alan Blunt, you just got TOLD!

Something really interested me at the end though, Samantha Redwing voices her concerns about the whole incident: planting a seed of doubt about its authenticity in the minds of Blunt and Jones. She mentions that the medical report showed that the contents of his stomach contained food that might well be eaten in France (correct) or England, but would not likely be served in Egypt, where it seemed he had been before. She also noted the galss that was lodged in his bullet wound, pointing out that he must have been shot whilst inside and then dragged out to the river and dumped. Was it, she wonders, Scorpia hoping that the body would indeed be found? For once Blunt is sensible and agrees with her, and I am now positive that we will see more of Samantha.

Blunt finishes by saying that they will send an agent into the school, although he admits it could be pointless, and Jones knows that he's still thinking of Alex and she promises herself that she will never let Alex be involved.

The question, now that we've finished Part 1 and head on to 'Part 2: Alex', is how is Alex going to end up involved? If it seems that Jones is determined not to let him get mixed up, how is Blunt going to change her mind? Is he going to go behind her back? Are Scorpia going to notice that Alex hasn't been sent and expand their plan, forcing MI6 to send Alex into Cairo, back into the deadly cluches of his worst enemies?

4 comments:

  1. May I ask when are you going to make a summary for chapter 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this post back in August, and then I went on holiday and read the whole book... What can I say, my self control is pretty bad! But there's a long summary of the rest of the book which you can find in the September folder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do not get this chapter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, just read over it, but I'm afraid I did it so long ago that I can't remember in detail what happens. I didn't want to do a point-by-point summary of the chapter, as that gets seriously boring for me, so I'm afraid I've sort of mixed it with my own reactions and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete