Friday 5 August 2011

Scorpia Rising - Chapter 4: Prisoner 7

Aaaargh I am sooo tired right now. Had a stressfull morning at work and seriously can't be bothered to get up tomorrow and go back =/ I guess that's what being a student does to you, but seriously, I haven't had a lie-in since LAST FRIDAY and I won't get another till NEXT FRIDAY. I'm lazy, I know. Gaah!

Anyhoo, rant over. I did get time in between crying over my lost hours in bed to read the next chapter. Well. This was... interesting. One of the quotes on the back of this book says how much darker this final one is to the other stories and I am quickly beginning to see why.

So end of last chapter I forgot to mention that Razim had a plot to get hold of this one person who hates Alex Rider and use them somehow in his evil plan. I didn't quite understand how this person is going to fit in, but I'm sure I'll find out. He said that the person he's thinking of probably hates Alex more than anyone in the world and wants him dead. So I'd been trying to figure out who this could be, and I was a bit stumped:  pretty much every enemy of Alex is dead right? the only person I could think of who survived was Paul Drevin, the son of Alexei Drevin, the bad guy in Ark Angel. But he's fourteen, and I couldn't see how he would hate Alex so much.

When the chapter started it described a fifteen-year-old boy with blonde hair. I naturally thought it was Alex. But then Horowitz mentions that he is in a prison. Alex couldn't be in a prison, could he? I racked my brains at this point, then realised how Horowitz is just as much of an evil mastermind as his characters. In Point Blanc a clone of Dr Hugo Grief was made, a very power-hungry person. They were then altered to look exactly like Alex, and although Alex defeated Grief this clone came looking for him, intent on killing him. He never managed, falling into a fire, and I assumed that he had died. Apparently not. This I worked out mere sentences before the reveal, and I can't believe Horowitz has gone that far back and affected the plot of this book so much. It's almost worthy of JK Rowling, Queen of foreshadowing and hidden clues.

We really get to see into the mind of Julius Grief here, and I did not like what I saw. He is in a meeting with a child psychiatrist, and all he ever seems to think about is killing Alex Rider. He imagines all the ways of killing him slowly, painfully, and it really was a horrible thing to read. It is obvious that the psychiatrist, although very good, doesn't understand the extent of his - can we call it insanity? - and he knows it. Unfortunately he recieved a note telling him that someone was going to help him escape, instructing him to go to the library at 12pm for more information. This is obviously Scorpia and it's very worrying to think that two forces so powerful are going to come together to destroy Alex Rider. I know I've said it time and again, but I really don't know how on earth he's going to come out of this alive. Scorpia aren't prepared to make any more mistakes, and they have very little to lose. There is no way they're going to let him off this time. I can't see it ending well.

I know this is a really short review, but I don't have that much time. Just a head's up - I'm going away for a few days so there will not be any reviews from Sunday to Thursday. I'll be back up next Friday though, so never fear!

No comments:

Post a Comment