Thursday 17 February 2011

The Aeneid - Books 1-3 - Harry Potter Galore

Ok, JK Rowling MUST have read this book. I'm not even a third of the way through and already there are so many names that appear in the Harry Potter series. Was this book her naming guide or something?

I initially thought this book was about the Trojan war too, but that's just at the beginning. It follows Aeneas, a Trojan warrior who survived the war and is following a path set out by the Fates to found Rome. He appeared occassionally in The Iliad, but whereas that poem flits from character to character, this one focuses on Aeneas. So far it's not too bad - again it's not difficult to read, but it's just slow-paced. Ok, let's get to the good bit: the Harry Potter stuff :D

  • Book 1 has a huuuge amount of names found in HP, for example Amycus (as in the Death Eater Amycus Carrow), Remus (Lupin <3) and Arcturus (as in Sirius' brother Regulus Arcturus Black). These made me excited each time I saw one!
  • Book 3 mentions someone called Phineas (as in Phineas Nigellus, one of Sirius' ancestors, and the mot unpopular headmaster Hogwarts ever had).
  • Book 1 has a line that reminded me of a Paradise Lost quote. It said, "they were like bees at the beginning of summer, busy in the sunshine..." it goes on for a while, but there was a very similar simile (lol similar simile!) towards the end of PL books 1, where  it said "brushed with the hiss of rustling wings like bees in springtime..." which also goes on for a while.
  • Book 3 also mentions Hermione, Helen and Menelaus' daughter, and a goddess called Minerva.

So in just 68 pages there are at least seven names that also appear in the Harry Potter books. I think we know how JKR found her names.

There's not really much else to say about it, I'm not that far into the poem, but I thought, as there were so many HP connections I'd do a post now. I've just started reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - the one that's just been made into a film starring Kiera Knightley, Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield. It's not on my course, just for fun so I'll be able to talk about something modern for a change! I'll do another post in a few days - Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment